Tuesday, 6 September 2011

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

“Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife” Prov 21:19. KEEP READING I DARE YOU! My boys have a DVD of Bear Grylls in the Sahara Desert, eating scorpion, sleeping inside the carcass of  a dead camel, I won’t mention what else that man does, but let’s just say, that is not my idea of a wholesome diet or any way to live.  Yet, King Solomon, the wisest man to live, said it is better to live in a desert than living with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.  When looking into this verse I’m sure I came across a commentary that said, ‘Husbands, what did you do to make her quarrelsome?!”  I liked that, but for the life of me, I can’t find it now to reference, maybe I made it up! Don’t quote me on it.

Quarrelsome, Ill-tempered, don’t we like to think of ourselves as strong, not ill-tempered? Clearly I can only speak for myself. But I have a sneaky suspicion I’m not the only one who can be ill-tempered.  Anyone else watch the Sealy Advertisement on TV with that women who gets up with a bounce, and wonder if that bed is really that good?!  Understanding our strengths and weaknesses can give us knowledge that we can use to change our day. Yes, today! Ill-tempered yesterday, doesn’t mean you have to be ill-tempered today. There is nothing more powerful than the Holy Spirits work in our lives, and in our moods, the Holy Spirit is more powerful than a morning coffee, an Evening Primrose Oil remedy, or a Sealy magic mattress bed. Beth Moore said “God can change our mood, changing an ugly day.”  He can do it.  2 Corinthians 12:9 says “My kindness is all you need.  My power is strongest when you are weak.” (CEV) Isn’t that beautiful, He knows we need His kindness, it’s a sensitive subject for us. And did you hear? There is a way through our weakness! His kindness and strength.

Glenys Munn spoke at an event recently, she reminded us in an honest way that for some of us, our weakness is the rising sun, morning is not a pleasant time in our households.  She reminded us that as wives and mothers we set the mood for our families day. Act 13:50 and Gen 3:1, show how influential women are. The serpent chose to approach Eve first.  Why?  The serpent knew the feminine influence Eve had over Adam. Just as we have influence over the atmosphere in our households. There is power in our influence, and there is also responsibility. The atmosphere we create in the first 5 mins of the day can influence the rest of the day for our families. Huge influence/huge responsibility.  Glenys delivered a valuable ration of useful advice; If you can’t wake up in a pleasant mood … turn the worship music on and our mouth off!  If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.   Smile, hug your family and keep your mouth shut!

My family consist of men, and I have to admit a part of me is relieved I didn’t have a baby girl.  I can barely handle my own emotional ups and downs, the thought of a teenage girl with my genes into that mix is somewhat terrifying!  Thank you Lord for your great mercy.  Don’t you just love it when God shines His big spot light on an area of growth for us?  Yeah, me neither!  I’m not going to pretend to be oh-so-spiritual, I hate it, it’s HARD.  I have to admit I’m not there yet.  I’m studying God’s word and that is causing change in me. I know today, I’m doing well, but that’s today, tomorrow is a new day and sometimes I don’t know who I am going to be unless I daily rest in the Spirit to reveal myself to me.  The Spirit of God knows me better than I can. 1 Cor 13: 12b “Now I know in part; then shall I know fully, even as I am fully known.” 1 Cor 8:3 “But the man who loves God is known by God.”  God knows us. I am learning everyday, and trusting everyday that even though I’m growing, I will fail at times.  BUT, (huge but here), when I confess my sin, my foul ugly moods, my selfish carnal nature, the Lord of all forgives me.  Confession, identifying the sin (and yes an ugly mood is sin, it’s selfish, self-serving and destructive, what part of that doesn’t sound like sin to you?), speak it aloud, this brings you to a place of honesty.  You can’t hide what’s shared, and to be honest, those we live with are well aware of our sinful moods.

Please don’t think I’m suggesting we refrain from our morning coffee, no need to make the situation potentially uglier in the mornings! I’m not suggesting we ditch the evening primrose oil either.  I’m suggesting we admit our moods can be ugly at times and ask for the Holy Spirit to give us the desire to make change.  If all else fails, confess it, keep our mouths closed and turn the music up!
Ingrid

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?