Monday, 26 September 2011

Idol of Approval



September, 25, 2011, Daryl Bay Teaching Pastor
Idol of Acceptance and Approval - Sermon notes

Key Verse: 1 Cor 4:1-5
Paul speaks of his 3 key convictions of acceptance and approval;
1. I am not controlled by what you think of me.
2. I am not controlled by what I think of me.
3. I am controlled by what God thinks of me.

Now to flesh these out a little;
1. I am not controlled by what you think of me.
Paul says "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court..."
Paul wasn't controlled by human approval, are you?
Some questions that expose the idol of approval;
> Are you wondering what people might think of you?
> Do you manipulate situations so you can look important?
> Are you over-sensitive to criticism?
> Are you over-committed because you can't say no to others?
> Do you never share you faith because you fear looking stupid?
> Do you serve in order to impress others?

2. I am not controlled by what I think of me.
Paul says "I do no even judge myself"
Normally we jump to medicating low self-esteem with high self-esteem; You are wonderful, love yourself.
"My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me."
In other words - we can be self-deceived.
It's not low self-esteem or high self-esteem, it's getting "self" healed and out of the way completely.
Humility is blessed self-forgetfulness
C.S Lewis says:
"Humility is not obsessed with thinking superior thoughts of yourself:
Humility is not obsessed with thinking inferior thoughts of yourself:
Humility is when you are set free to not think about yourself at all."

3. I am controlled by what God thinks of me.
Is it good news or bad that God judges us?  Because he does judge us.
v4 ..."It is the Lord who judges me."
It is good news, because ...
v5 "At the time each will receive his praise from God."
When He judges us, do we get condemned? NO, we get Gods approval.

At the cross, Jesus gots our verdict: Guilty
In the courtroom, we get Jesus' verdict: Approval

Whose verdict are you looking for? Whose approval are you seeking?

"Why do you crave the approval of the peasants when you already have the approval of the King?"

To listen to the above sermon

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?