Thursday, 24 November 2011

2 Timothy 4:1-2

"In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you thischarge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction."


Had a wonderfully challenging conversation with a friend this week.  We were talking about sharing books with our non-Christian friends, and how often times we are inclined to say something that dismisses the spiritual in a book we are sharing.  "This is a great book, so well written, I think you'll enjoy it, ignore the spiritual bits if you're not into it, it's just a really good read"  This is what I was planning of saying the a friend I was intending to share a book with this holidays.  My friend said, we as Christian should be brave enough to be ourselves.  I'm a follower of Jesus Christ, and I need to honour Him by being truthful.  I'm not talking giving a 3 point sermon.  Just being brave enough to not make excuses or overlook our faith.  Our friends loves us, they know we are believe, and they can deal with our spirituality if we are genuine.  People detest falseness, they appreciate genuineness, even if they don't believe or agree.


So, as I pass over a book to my friend, I'm going to say "I really enjoyed this book, it's fantastically written, historically well researched, and spiritually touching, it's a jolly good read. I think you would enjoy it too."


We can only tell our own stories, our own experiences, and if they include Jesus and what He's done for us, then we should tell, not preach, just tell our stories.  It's not our job to convict, it's the Holy Spirits, so we can relax and enjoy sharing our lives, all parts of them with those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?