Monday, 21 November 2011

Sojourner, Psalm 121



This Psalm is for the traveller.
Pilgrim says: "I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?  My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth."
Encourager says: "He will no let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The LORD watches over you - the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.  The LORD will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.


In less than 8 days our family travels from one side of the planet to the other.  Clearly we are not travelling by foot, nor in the scorching sun, nor under a cloud of superstition of the moons, however the LORD will be watching over us. From car journey, to check in, to day flight with 5 and 7 year old boys (on the 5 year olds birthday), the stop-over, waiting, plane change, arrival, jet-lag.  There is still risk, not as much I'm sure as travelling on foot to Jerusalem for a festival, with ankle breaking rocky tracks, bandits, fear of the moon causing seizures and running out of water.


The last time we were in the UK, the July 7 attacks happened.  I admit during that time, I had much fear.  In normal cicumstances travel does not invoked fear in me, excitement may cause butterflies in my stomach, but not fear.  I've been learning lately in a theoretical sense 'What is there to fear?', God knows the number of my days and always has, He protects and guides me, but one day he will call me home, now that will be an exciting journey.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself, as until that day, I have a 'To Do' list to get done, a purpose that needs to be fulfilled for my life, until then, the journey continues. That's assurance, God is in control. When my 'What is there to fear?' theory is faced with reality, I hope and pray I trust the knowledge of the will of God (Col 1:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?