Saturday, 21 April 2012

"My first Mum, Bruce..."

Sometimes children are the greatest comedians.  My five year old son, is so interesting.  I love him to bits, he is a very effervescent personality. He comes up with the funniest things. At home, pottering around during the school holidays, he pulls this out as a conversation starter, "My first mum, Bruce, she use to buy me lots of toys."  My reply, "Did she?"  Then I realised my response to his statement.  Clearly I wasn't tuned in very well.  When 'one' is a introvert, having a talkative extrovert in the family can produce some semi-conscious replies to the chatter that fills every moment of the day. I mean I'm pretty sure I would know if my child had another Mother before me, especially a woman called Bruce. I'm confident I was the one pushing when he entered the world. The memory has faded, thank you Lord, but I remember the day he arrived.  What a blessed day that was.  Both of my children were relatively 'easy' births, no complications, no emergencies, not too late (3 days late for number 2) nor too early (a week early for number 1), so I call that easy.  

This is my boy when he was 2 and full of mischief.

Pregnancy wasn't easy for me.  I'll leave that's for another post (If you're super curious why, see here). But both pregnancy and birth were a walk in the park compared to parenting.  Parenting is like the marriage after the wedding.  It's the hard work called love.  

Parenting creative, energetic, bright, grubby, smelly, funny, tender, generous, excitable, boys is hard work.  Especially when there are 'spectrum's' involved.  I am at this moment figuratively taking my hat off to parents of children with disorders.  As most of us are aware, the medical system has names for nearly everything.  Back in my day - did I really just say that?  How old and fuddy duddy of me. Anyway, back in my day, children were children, as they were, if you got a label it was 'odd or backward' if anything.  As a parent of a child with a mild label, I want to celebrate and get to my feet and applaud those parents who have children with challenges. All children are gifts from God, disorders are not from God, and He can heal, as my friend Adele can testify, however, for those of us who hold hands with these children daily, they bring such joy, amidst the challenge is much joy.

So stand with me, applaud, tip your hat or even give one of these parents a call, and bless them with encouragement. Bless them any way you feel called to, but bless them.  The sacrifices they give are deeply known and felt.  Yet sometimes, it is wearying and feels lonely.

Our strength is in the Lord, he sustains us in the challenge.  He gives us hope to carry on. He delights in our love and growth in our own character. In the challenging times with my child I would often remember this beautiful song; 

The road is long, 
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother


If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another


It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother


He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

2 comments:

  1. make me cry why don't you?!
    Love you Ingrid, special lady ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song. Bruce sounds like a nice mum, he's got nothing on you though :). Great post, has been one of those days and its good to know someone who understands. Bless you ingrid, keep up the great work you do being mum to your clever boys.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?