Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Luke 9:23-27


Some things stick with you. Sometimes they are horrid scenes from a movie, or lyrics to a catchy song you don't like, or lyrics of a song you love but after a day of it, need of a break from. Sometimes things stick that are special moments or cherished memories. A sermon has stuck with me.  It's been a month since I sat in church to listen to it and I'm still thinking on it. If you would like to listen Click Here and download 20 May sermon from Donald Irvine for a personal and thoughtful sermon on Luke 9:23-27, Submission to Jesus.

Three quotes during the sermon were particularly powerful to me. 

The Prayer of the unknown Confederate Solider:
"I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed."

I feel slightly uncomfortable including this next quote, it's from an era very different to mine, and so is the language.  I apologise if it makes you uncomfortable like it does me. Hopefully you will see it's purpose.

Wilbur Rees:
"I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please - not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant worker. I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of a womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I'd like to buy $3 worth of God please."

The final quote Donald ended with is a quote by Ray Pritchard: 


"Now that you know who I am, are you ready to take up your cross and follow me? Before you answer, let me warn you that to follow me will seem, in the eyes of the world, as if you are wasting your life. The people of the world will never understand what you are doing. It will seem to them that by following me, you are throwing your life away.

You always have another option. You can try to save your life by following your own desires. Lots of people do that. They live as if their careers were all that mattered. But the people who live only for this life in the end will find that they wasted it on things that don’t really matter. They tried to save it by living for themselves, but in the end they will lose it. They have wasted their lives on trivial pursuits.

After all, what good will it do if you become the richest man in the world, or climb to the top of the corporate ladder, or rise to the highest salary level in your company, or win the applause of the world? What good will all that do if in the end you find out it was all wasted? What good will that shiny new sports car do for you then? Will you be able to trade it in for another life? No, you won’t. But if you want to live that way, go ahead. Millions of people do. In the end they will be sorry, but by then it will be too late to do anything about it."



Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?