Friday, 26 July 2013

Look and Love - Mark 10:17-31

I was reading Mark 10:17-31 the other day, and I have to admit this passage, upon a glance, looks pretty bleak. Maybe that is my interpretation based on living in a western society. I did noticed a couple of heavenly inspiring portions, one I had not ever noticed before.

Just to recap in case you haven't the time to read this passage right now; Mark 10:17-31 is the story of the rich young man who is asking how he can inherit eternal life. You may know the story well.

Okay my first and recent epiphany: Have you noticed this brief and powerful statement in verse 10; “And Jesus, looking at him, loved him…”  Jesus told him what was needed for him to enter eternal life, but first, he looked at him and then he loved him.  I find this so tender and precious. Even in the hardest truth, Jesus see's and loves. Even when we have giant self-made mountains to climb, Jesus see's and loves. Even when we hold tightly to what holds us back, Jesus see's and loves us. 

I only hope and pray that when we share Jesus with people, that we start where he did, that we may look at them and love them.  Tony Saxon, a New Zealand speaker said that in this post-modern world, people don't need relevant - the world does relevant all the time. What the world needs is real. The world needs the church to be real. To look at them and love them.

Second point that grabbed me: A little further on in verse 26 the disciples ask Jesus “Then who can be saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God."

This is one of those points that I have to keep reminding myself.  The Holy Spirit convicts. Convicting is not my job. My job is to share.  "With man it is impossible." "For all things are possible with God."

That is a relief.  It's not my job to save souls.  
We are called to open our mouths and be real, see people and love them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?