Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Impressive Statistics

I am a total ignoramus as far as the Internet and technology goes. But in this case, I am pretty sure I can smell something phishy.  

I've had over 5000 page hits since I began this blog 2 years ago.  Impressive?  Not at all.  At a rough guess I would say well over half of those are phishing.

Google definition:
phishing
ˈfɪʃɪŋ/
noun
  1. 1.
    the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers, online.


Phishing is also used to describe those who troll blogs, attempting to comment on posts with advertising material or links.  Hence why many people have comment moderation.  

Yesterdays Stats:


Pageviews today
71
Pageviews yesterday
2
Pageviews last month
292
Pageviews all time history
5,225

REALLY?

The stats say I had 71 page views yesterday, I assume, because I have posted twice. Some techy people will be able to explain this, I wonder if maybe my activity gives the 'phisher'men something to hook.  They can't comment when you moderate, but it doesn't stop them trolling, and inflating your stats.

This annoys me, this blog is my creative outlet and in a awkward kind of way, it's my ministry. I don't use stats to feel heard or to feel important, but I did get a huge shock when it all started to kick off, because I use stats to pray for all those folks who stopped by my blog ... the truth is, the phishing has put me off. 

I really don't want to pray for people whose referring URL's are advertising sites, online dating sites or worse. But ... just because what they do annoys me, doesn't mean I shouldn't pray for them. Matt 5:44.

We all need prayer.
We all need to pray.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?