Tuesday, 28 January 2014

How Many Times

Home School is great.  But it's also seriously challenging. I gave birth to two amazing boys, who have grown up to surprise us in so many ways, and no doubt will continue to do so.

One of our boys is a perfectionist, the other has varied challenges, both have times of sending us close to, or over the edge.  But they are darlings.

This mornings home school session got me thinking about deafness or in this case selective hearing.  How many times does one have to spell out the word 'shine'? Even though it is written (granted, in cursive, so not totally straightforward) in front of him.  John 1:5, "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." Although after so many times spelling out 'shine' the darkness was overcoming me. How many times? With each spelling my patience was ebbing.  I'm not a fan of repeating myself over and over.  I'm not a born teacher, yet here I am homeschooling my cherubs.  Not exactly logical, but necessary and we actually love it, just not so much this morning.

Out comes the old line, 'How many times do I have to tell you?"  Rhetorical question of course. But I soon realised my patience was gone and I had morphed into Ugly Tyrant. When my kids are driving me bonkers, I try put it in perspective by placing myself in the child's place and Jesus in mine.  Uncomfortable, but it stops me thinking I'm all together and my kids are a mess.  Back to selective hearing or deafness, how many times has Jesus spelt out, "follow me"? I do more than forget, I sometimes put my fingers in my ears and sing 'blah, blah, blah" so I can't hear.

Just as my son wanted to spell 'shine', so I do want to shine for Jesus by following him, but don't we all get distracted, or obstinate at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?